Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Pen and Ink with a Wash of Colour




Glorious Gladiolas
6 1//2" Dye Painted Cotton Squares
2/ $19.95

A white background is sometimes the best choice in highlighting the centre-of-interest in this case the flowers. Sketching on paper with black ink and then adding splashes of watercolour is a favourite technique I employ. Therefore it is a simple step for me to reproduce that look on textile by first painting the black line with thickened dye. Sometimes I like to apply the black dye with a brush but here it is applied through a bottle with a fine nib. After curing overnight, I apply the coloured dye with a brush. Sodium alginate is used as a thickening agent for the dye and adding more of it lightens the colour to give a variety of colour values.
Pieced borders would frame these gladiolas nicely. 

1 comment:

Win Dinn, Artist said...

I love the combination of line and colour and the looseness of the dye process here gives a real sense of energy!