Sunday, December 15, 2013

A Watercolour Lesson for Christmas Cards along with One Textile Card

On Fridays, a group of people meet to paint for the day. I love Fridays! On this Friday, I gave a lesson for painting Christmas cards using masking tape for the birch trees, salt for texture and painting with a cut credit card for the birch tree. Here are some of the results.
Red, an unusual colour choice gives a delightful result. 

Joyce prefers to paint holding her watercolour block

Charlsie's vertical paper orientation gives a great variation.

Some of the day's work from the Friday Painting Group

Another unusual colour variation and it still works. I wonder what other colours we could try?
 
The same image (note below the red spool of thread) painted on textile with thickened dyes. Next I will add some details with thread sketching by sewing machine.

5 comments:

HollyM said...

I love the cards and would like to try this method. I'm wondering if I could squeeze on in this week, but I've got lots to do!
How do you maintain the white on the fabric?

Watercolour and Textile Artist, Eileen Gidman said...

Holly, using thickened dyes, I painted around the tree trunks of the textile card (last pic).

Win Dinn, Artist said...

They're all so intriguingly different with the change in colour. Love the variety!

Laura Leeder said...

These are wonderful Eileen! A great lesson in color.

Jackie said...

those are gorgeous!
as for my colour choices in my quilt....lots of auditioning colours and finally just go with my gut=)