Thursday, April 9, 2015

Painting the Rocky Mountain Foothills

They are ready for framing. For those of you who paint, do you like to leave your paintings a bit before framing them? I painted these 3 watercolours last September on location and just tweaked them a little bit in the studio this spring. 'Fresh eyes' helps a lot for me. At a recent painting critique, after our West Kootenay Chapter meeting of the Federation of Canadian Artists, one of the artists mentioned viewing your paintings in a mirror to get another perspective for assessing your painting. A time or two I have done that technique but for me, waiting awhile to finish a painting before framing really helps. Perhaps I am not so emotionally attached to the painting then. How about you other creators of art, what do you do when assessing your art in it's final stages?
 
Now for the titles. Any ideas?




All the watercolour paintings are 7 1/2" X 11" and are $179.00 (unframed) plus shipping and handling. You can contact me at egidman@kootenay.com

3 comments:

Win Dinn, Artist said...

I'm with you, Eileen - I often leave my artwork (paintings or 3D) for anywhere from days to months before 'finishing' work. While I like the mirror trick for paintings, it's often time that determines what exactly is needed for that final touch!

HollyM said...

I have to put my art work away too. Sometimes I need to do that with my fiber Art in order to add the final borders. It needs a fresh eye. I like to have it on my design wall to see how it strikes me in that first second when I enter the room .
Your watercolors are beautiful! I'm not so accomplished at mine. Somehow I always manage to cover the page missing those crucial white areas. I love your use of negative painting too.

Laura Leeder said...

Whenever possible I like to live with my paintings for a while. I place them in my living room where I walk by them everyday, something almost always jumps out at me that needs tweaking.

No titles come to mind, but,what beautiful reminders of your painting trip!