Saturday, June 27, 2015

Intuitive Hand Stitching on Hand Painted Fabric

Free Form Hand Stitching

Have you hand embroidered in the past? This past week I have had to slow down and spend time just sitting so I tried adding some free form hand stitching to my dye painted textile cards. On Pinterest, I have been noticing a looser style of stitchery which is often added to vintage fabrics. Here are my first attempts at this more intuitive style of hand stitching. If you are going to try it, I should warn you it's quite addicting!
 
The looseness of this sponge painted flower seems to disguise my stitches on the flower itself. Do you like the two coloured border? 
 
A pillow slip I stitched, likely in the '80s, with cross stitch embroidery using a stamped pattern.

Free form cross stitch in the border. Yes I know all the Xs aren't even, like in the above sample, but somehow I like the look.

I cut up a larger panel to that didn't have a strong enough image to be sellable into 3 textile card sizes. Can you see this is a hanging basket in front of a window? I only ask as my husband didn't really care for this one.
Creating distance in scenery.
My Textile Cards are now available in a new location at the Faeries Landing on the east side of Kootenay Lake, BC. This is Cherie, the owner who has wonderfully put this Art Market and Bistro together. Stop in to see the  Faeries Landing Art Market and Bistro as you cross the lake from Kootenay Bay.

Driving through Creston, BC? Be sure to stop at Creston Card and Stationery where you will find lots of art supplies, local artist's cards including my own, and now fabric too!

2 comments:

Win Dinn, Artist said...

Loving that look of hand stitching, Eileen - I've always been a proponent of anything hand-crafted. That speaks to me directly of the artist who creates.

Laura Leeder said...

These are going to be a hit Eileen. I really like the two-toned stitching.