Thursday, November 14, 2019

Art Show - Images in Creston, BC






Images Show, Creston, BC
While the core group of artists has changed throughout the years, this is the 22 consecutive year of this much anticipated show. Elaine and Andy Alfoldy are the longest attending members and the Images Group is happy to announce its newest member, Jenny Steenkamp. This show also features Eileen Gidman, Laura Leeder, Sarah Miller, Jim Smith and Howard Smith. If you are in our area, I hope you can visit.
Images Art Group Facebook Page


When framing for two days last week, I realized that all of the 22 new paintings I am showing this year were painted plein air with finishing touches in the studio. Wow, I had a goal this year to plein air paint more and I guess you could say I achieved that. It was an exciting year with painting locally in the valley, including weekly in the summer at Kootenay Meadows Dairy, painting in Utah on a spring hiking trip, in AZ, and on Quadra Island. 



watercolour by Eileen Gidman
16 X 20" (framed 22 X 28") 

The colours on these pear trees were jaw-dropping stunning this year. After walking up to admire them, several times, walking back I noticed this vista with the Purcell Mountains in the background. The very next day I spent an afternoon painting them. This old orchard is near my home and I've been researching the history of the trees. I believe them to be over 100 years old and I want the title to reflect the historical significance somehow. Ideas?
And yes, that cat did walk into my view.

watercolour by Eileen Gidman
Series: Hulls of Herriot Bay

More boats. I do not have a title for this one yet either but the series will be called 'Herriot Bay Hulls'. The heron on the left side of the painting would often stand in the shallows when the tide was low.


watercolour by Eileen Gidman
View from Gramma's Clothesline

This is this year's painting for my Clothesline Series. The significance of the series is to draw attention to energy conservation. It is the first clothesline painting without clothes drying on it but the view was so amazing that I wanted it to shine. When showing the painting to the home owner, her grandson was there and his eyes just lit up when he recognized the familiar scene, hence the title. 

No comments: