Monday, October 14, 2013

Sketching with a glass blown ink pen from Wertheim, Germany

Glass Pen from Wertheim, Germany
Glass blower: Hans Ittig  About Hans Ittig
Visiting Wertheim on a European River Cruise
The light was so yellow yesterday that it made the fall colours look brilliant. I couldn't resist getting out for a couple hour sketching session in our garden with the new glass pen my sister surprised me with. I had seen them before under glass counter tops in art stores but had never had the pleasure of having one. It  gives a variety of lines and holds a lot of ink which is what an artist is looking for. Love it!
Waterproof India Ink
Sketching with my Glass Ink Pen

 
Here I am adding some ink lines to a watercolour painting I had started last spring. It was never finished because it hadn't developed the way I had envisioned. Working on a painting like this can be really freeing for experimentation. Sitting outside in the warmth of the afternoon sun, I added some black ink lines using my new glass pen. 
In the studio this morning I decided to add some additional watercolour paint, toning down some areas and darkening some of the background to direct the viewer's eye through the painting. Winterwren birds frequent the area along the creek where this Azalea grows.
 
'Winterwren Woodland Azalea' 10" X 7"
 $179 plus shipping (Canadian/US Funds)
 

3 comments:

Laura Leeder said...

Eileen, what a pleasant surprise that pen must have been! The subtle touches with the ink pen adds so much interest to an already appealing painting! Well done!
(p.s. I'd love to see that pen)

Watercolour and Textile Artist, Eileen Gidman said...

It was a surprise. I will be happy to show you the pen.

Win Dinn, Artist said...

That's a gorgeous pen, Eileen, and the results of using it even more so!