Sunday, January 6, 2013

Portraits Project in Textile


Fabric Arts: The Portraits Project
Months ago, I was invited to participate in a Fabric Arts, Portraits Show to be held in Kaslo, BC in the summer of 2013. Instructions included creating a self portrait in textile with a size maximum of 36 " in width. Although I didn't actually physically begin until two days ago, there has been a lot of thinking done about the project.
As hiking has always been an important part of my life I started looking through my hiking photos. One photo from last fall had great colours and an interesting composition.
Today I finished enlarging it by drawing a grid on the 8 1/2" X 11" photo and sketching it onto a large paper approximately 36" wide and proportionally the same height as the photo. I darkened the lines with felt pen so that I could see them through cloth and transfered the image onto cotton fabric by sketching in the major lines with thickened black dye.
I have ideas for where I am headed, but I'm hesitant to share them as you know how ideas can change. Look for updates of the project in future posts.




 

2 comments:

Win Dinn, Artist said...

I'm excited to see where this will take you, Eileen! Thanks for posting.

Laura Leeder said...

Your off to a great start Eileen!