Thursday, March 13, 2014

Carving a Winter Wren


Close Up View
carved by Eileen Gidman
Creston, B.C.
Winter wren, is a delightful little bird that has the perfect habitat close to our home. It lives along a creek that has thick forest on each side of it. This little wren is so special to me that I named my art business after it, 'Winterwren Gallery'. This bird has a melodious song that seems like it should be coming from a bird twice it's size. I open my bedroom window creek side just to have it wake me up on a spring morning.
 
The summer before last, my husband and I witnessed a family of young wrens flitting along the creek and going under roots on a bank where I am sure their nest was.  In contrast, one cold winter night a few years back, I was able to see several of the winter wren gather together at dusk, on the second story balcony of our log house and get into an old robin's nest that rested on one of the purlin logs under the roof. I understand they do this on cold nights is to conserve warmth. I felt happy my home could provide them with shelter.
 
I took up carving one day a week this winter and after several small projects, I started on my beloved winter wren. It took me about 4 full day sessions and a lot of help from a master carver Joyce, to get it ready for staining. This is one piece of artwork I won't be giving away.
Check back as I will soon be posting a watercolour painting of a winter wren in it's natural habitat.
If you like birds, here is an interesting blog to check out: Prairie Birdwatcher Feathers on Friday
Wood Burning Feathers
 
Drilling Two Tiny Holes for Mounting on this Found Wood Piece
 
Mounted Winterwren


 

8 comments:

Win Dinn, Artist said...

What a fabulous job you've done on this lovely little wren, Eileen, and I love the way you've placed in on the wood. I'm SO glad you're keeping it for yourself - I can hardly wait to meet her!

Unknown said...

Beautiful! In my opinion, carving is the hardest form of art - imagining what to take away in order to leave what you want. You did awesome!

Laura Leeder said...

A quilter, painter and now carver....I am impressed! Nicely done Eileen! Great blog post!

Lorne Eckersley said...

Beautiful, Eileen. So nice that you continue to surprise us!

Watercolour and Textile Artist, Eileen Gidman said...

Thanks everyone.

Sheila at WolfSongBlog.Com said...

I love your Wren, beautiful work!

HollyM said...

I've always been fascinated with birds and I love the story of this little wren. It is a sweet carving. Amazing. Definitely something to keep.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful carving, thanks for joining me for FoF!