Friday, February 4, 2022

One of the Biggest Failures in Fabric Painting I ever had, was this Week

Along with a disappointing fabric painting failure (end of the post), there were some wonderful successes in fabric painting this week.



This panel was first painted lightly then soda-soaked once again and dried. Here I have lightly sketched in some 4 X 6" images (card size) in preparation for the second painting session.


What the same panel looks like two and half hours later. As I am painting with thickened dyes, the colours will be less vibrant once the panel is washed. 


These chickadees, I am so in love with them even before the thread sketching. 



There was this one little piece of linen left at the end of a painting day and I used up all the little bits of mixed colours left-over to create this piece. A blue heron stitched in the right hand corner should look perfect. Linen, I must dye paint it more often!


Watercolour painting.


This was from the first life drawing/painting session in 2022. The pleated skirt was so fun to paint.

THE FAILURE

This panel was painted in 2 x 3" images. Not very often do I veer from using the very best of fabrics for painting with dyes. Mercerized cotton from Dharma Trading is my favorite and is always reliable. However, I found this scrap of light canvas which I soda soaked and painted. Well there is three or so wasted hours as the dye did not make a good chemical bond with the fabric and much of it washed out. It was a very stiff canvas and must have a sizing on it that is not easily washed away. Grrr... Lesson learnt.







1 comment:

Win Dinn, Artist said...

You've had such a productive week, Eileen, in spite of your dyed-canvas 'failure'. I LOVE the chickadees and can hardly wait to see them with the over-stitching. And that linen piece holds such promise; I think your idea of a heron stitched on will be outstanding.

Your return to watercolour is just so fun - the pleated skirts are particularly textural, and one can see your appreciation for them in every stroke!