Sunday, September 8, 2013

Starting Flowers by Sponging in Watercolour

513 Park Avenue
10" X 14"
$179.00 with free shipping in Canada and the USA
Camping this week, I brought out my art suitcase to the picnic table along with a pillow to sit on. Might as well be comfy painting.  What do you do to warm up after not painting for a bit? I like to add some brush strokes to paintings that are already started. Summer has been busy and I found I had a few unfinished paintings in my kit from mid summer so I set them up to have a look.
Painting Started and Reference Photo 
This one I had started in July as a demo at a market. The whites were masked with tape and I had started it by sponging on some flower colours and a few greens. After evaluating where I wanted to go with the painting, I enjoyed and hour or so adding some darker darks, detailing some flowers and toning down some of the white. This person's hanging baskets have delighted me so much, that I must get a card made and drop it off the next time I am in Kaslo, BC. 

4 comments:

Win Dinn, Artist said...

Lovely painting, and gorgeous baskets, Eileen. It's a perfect painting to ease us into fall.

HollyM said...

Wow, I can't believe you masked off all the whites. That looks a bit tricky. Very pretty for a card. Do you get them printed?

Watercolour and Textile Artist, Eileen Gidman said...

Holly masking the whites was easy. The trick is having various sizes of masking tape.
As for printing cards, I have done very little preferring originals .

Laura Leeder said...

Kaslo is such a pretty village and you've captured it's essence beautifully here!