Sunday, August 10, 2014

Watercolour Tutorial: Berries

Do you know the blog '...And Then We Set It On Fire'? You've got to love that title. I am honored to have two photos of my fabric shown on today's post. Click here  to see samples of depicting texture on fabric.
Watercolour Painting: Arrow Creek Saskatoon Berries
by Eileen Gidman
 
 
 
Today I thought I would go into a little more detail with my second attempt at painting Saskatoon berries this year. This session, painted in the studio, was a little more controlled than when I painted the Saskatoon berries on location which you can look at here .

On a walk with my Border Collie, I collected one sprig of Saskatoon berries. Later in the studio I sketched it onto 140 lb cold press, Arches watercolor paper using a light F pencil. I turned the branch twice more and created a composition across the page. When I was satisfied with the sketch, using a pigma .05 black pen I went over the graphite lines with different pressures to create a variety of lines for interest.
A few light washes of colour.
Using a colour tool, I selected the colour scheme for the painting: a string of harmonious colours from blue-purple to a purple-red with a complementary chartreuse.
The background was washed in with a graduated wash going from light on the bottom to darker at the top using  a variety of purples. After that was dry, details were added to the background using a light purple mix applied with a round brush.
Additional layers were added in the background including painting around some leaf shapes (negative painting). To draw your eye through the painting, the colour of certain berries were deepened. Am I satisfied? Another watercolourist once said to me, "It is good to exaggerate your center of interest" so for the next berry picture, I would like to try enlarging the berries.
 
Just for fun, I have included two photos of textile pieces I have done. One uses the same colour scheme as I did with the saskatoons, and the other just the reverse with the harmonious string of colours in green and the complementary one colour in the purple.
 
Hand dye painted textile by Eileen Gidman

Hand dye painted textile by Eileen Gidman
 

6 comments:

HollyM said...

It's lovely! I love seeing your process. You have a wonderful command of color.
What is that color tool you're using? I must get one.

Win Dinn, Artist said...

Love your Arrow Creek Saskatoon Berries, Eileen - they look ready to pick and eat! The colour combination is yummmmmmmmmmy!

Watercolour and Textile Artist, Eileen Gidman said...

The Color Tool is from Joen Wolfrom:3in1 Color Tool.

Unknown said...

Love it! I love Saskatoons and I love these colors. This would be a fabulous piece of scrapbooking paper (I've been scrapbooking lately so it's on my mind). :)

Watercolour and Textile Artist, Eileen Gidman said...

Jennifer, what a good idea and not one I had ever considered. I would like to try another Saskatoon berry painting predominately green with only the berries in purple. It might have to be next year as the berries are wilted now.

Laura Leeder said...

I just love these berries Eileen!