Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Gushul Art Residency: Open House

 To Win a Watercolour Sketch painted in the Rocky Mountain Foothills: comment on my blog or Facebook posts during Sept 2015.  I will make the draw the first week in October. Good luck!

Gushul Studio Open House, Blairmore, AB
 Sat, Sept 26 from 4-6 pm
Karen Arrowsmith, myself (Eileen Gidman), and Kristen Lyttle warmly invite you to attend and view their art:
watercolour paintings, painted textiles and Maori weaving
I'm in the third week of my art residency and I continue to paint plein air everyday rain or shine. This week it seemed to be about cows.

The DU ranch has a preserved log homestead on their land. After painting for the morning, it was a delight to walk down the hill to the log cabin for a close up viewing. Can you see the cows far in the distance?
Yesterday, in order to get the cows this big in my painting, I had to sit on the edge of a secondary highway. Amazingly when you are painting, it is easy to ignore the distractions of the zooming vehicles. Someone from Washington stopped to ask for directions and I am happy to say I was able to help them. I'm getting to know this Crowsnest Pass. They didn't even ask to see my painting. Hmmm..... 
This is what I painted today. I thought I would switch the colours up and I chose a split complement: purple with yellow-green and orange-yellow. What do you think?
After a three hour painting stint, look who decided to show up!

3 comments:

Win Dinn, Artist said...

I love your split complement trees, Eileen - it's a wonderful colour combination to perfectly capture this time of year. I'm smiling at the pair of cows who visited you after your stint of cow painting - what a compliment that was to your artistry!

Laura Leeder said...

These are gorgeous Eileen! I am particularly drawn to the first painting. I'm chuckling that the curious cows showed up to take a peek!

vix said...

Hi Eileen! Love the tree painting, beautiful colours combined together.